[Samba] Windows 2000 PDC - Profiles on Samba Server

thomas.arnold at hispeed.ch thomas.arnold at hispeed.ch
Sun May 25 11:14:52 GMT 2003

>On Sun, 25 May 2003 thomas.arnold at hispeed.ch wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have set up a Samba 2.2.8 server and I would like store Windows 2000
>> Profiles on the Samba server. For a test I set the File Permissions for
>> all users on samba but the Windows 2000 PDC did'nt create any file of a
>> profile. Trying to get acces from the PDC on Samba works withtout
>> problems. Sorry for my english I'm swiss german.
>
>How did you configure your smb.conf file for this?
>
>What did you do on the Windows 2000 PDC to direct the user profiles to
>the Samba server?
>
>Did you copy your profiles off the Win2K PDC to the Samba server?
>
>	- if so, how did you do this?
>
>- John T.

Hi John,

I do this because they are computers using the PDC over Wan. So I would like save the profiles on a Samba Servers, it wouldnt function if I set up the Samba Server as Backup Domain Controller because the Clients are using Applications from the Windows Server and the Windows Server is based on Win2000 so it s not compatible. Here the smb.conf File:

 Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.188.44 (192.168.188.44)
# Date: 2003/04/17 10:34:50

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = PNET
	netbios name = LIDO
	interfaces = eth0
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = psc-ex2000, psc-nts03
	printcap name = cups
	wins server = 192.168.188.75
	printing = cups
	guest account = pst-guest
[data]
	path = /shared/data
	valid users = @pst
	write list = @pst

[homes]
	path = /shared/users/%S
	valid users = @pst, %S, administrator
	admin users = administrator
	write list = @pst, %S, administrator

[profiles]
	path = /shared/profiles
	writable = yes
	public = Yes
                     guest ok = Yes

On the WinServer access to \\lido\profiles\%user%

I already tried to copy the Profile but it dont function.. Windows cannot create a *.pds File on the Samba share.. but all other function.

Best Regards

Thomas Arnold