[Samba] problem getting remote printer working

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat May 24 22:47:15 GMT 2003

Jeremy Petzold jpetzold at earthlink.net wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Sat May 24 16:54:00 GMT 2003
>

>> Sorry, Jeremy,
>>
>> I can't make my mind up from what you say. Maybe it helps if you
>> look at the HOWTOs here?
>>
>>     http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/
>>
>> > thanks,
>> > Jeremy
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kurt
>
> well basicly I am trying to set up my OS X machine to be a print server over
> Samba

????. No need for Samba here! Debian and Mac OS X boxen can communicate
without Samba, and basically, they can print to each other without Samba too.

> to my Debian Laptop.

Samba or not -- in any case you should know that this will only work if you
install additional packages on Mac OS X (Apple hasn't integrated the complete
CUPS functionality into Mac OS X; for example the "CUPS browsing" was configured
away on all Macs I saw):

  * as a very minimum you need to install Ghostscript (this is not shipped
    by Apple). Best is ESP Ghostscript for your purposes.

  * Depending on the printer(s) in question, you need also Gimp-Print and/or
    HPIJS packages (and maybe some more) on Mac OS X.

  * You need a Mac OS X later than 10.2.

You may find all the packages I mentioned in a convenient "one-click-installer"
*.dmg format here:

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/

BTW, you didn't mention the printer type or model. Can you imagine that it
is extremely difficult (lacking the possession of a magical crystal ball)
to give any valuable advice without that info?

> Samba was installed on OS X already and is properly configured. and I can
> browse my shares from my laptop via Komba2(a KDE based Samba share browser)
>
> I can see the printer on Komba2, and CUPS shows the printer as well. the
> problem I am having is that when I print, the jobs just go off into oblivion.

This is no wonder. Your laptop is likely to send PostScript. Your printer
likely is a non-PostScript model. And the Mac is lacking a PostScript
interpreter (like Ghostscript is).

> I don't get any errors at all

So you know where to look for them?