[Samba] Problems accessing shares on Samba from Win2000

Ralf Bauer-Malz bauer.malz at t-online.de
Sat May 24 20:53:09 GMT 2003

Hi,

I´ve got the following problem:
When accessing a share on a Samba server from Win2000 or Windows XP this
fails. The access is denied. All the shares are visible within ...\Network
Neighbourhood\Workgroup\Chs-
server.chs.\share1
...\Network Neighbourhood\Workgroup\Chs-server.chs.\share2
...\Network Neighbourhood\Workgroup\Chs-server.chs.\Drucker und Faxdienste

Besides this I see the following
...\Network Neighbourhood\sonntag\station1\c-station1
...\Network Neighbourhood\sonntag\station1\Daten

When trying on the samba box

smbclient //my-server/share -Uuser

then entering the user´s password (this is the user´s account on
the Linux/Samba machine) I get the error message:

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.3a-6 Debian 3.0] tree
connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Attached some log files.

I suppose this is a problem with different workgroups on the windows
clients. How do I get all the workgroups (domains?) to the same level?
Windows expands the 'user' to 'Chs-server.chs.\user'. Will Samba
unterstand this and map it to its local user 'user'???

Hopefully I´m clear :-) I would appreciate much any comments.

Thanx

Ralf