[Samba] "Additional Drivers" and Print Window Refresh

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Sat May 24 02:07:56 GMT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
>
> > Fri May 23 13:22:36 GMT 2003
> >

> > I have RTFM'd, so excuse me if I missed something in the manual. :)
>
> Probably the authors missed to put in a note reminding the readers to
> always provide versions and software info if the request help on mailing
> lists....

Doh! Samba 2.2.8a -- not sure what else to provide here... umm, compiled
with PAM and pam_smbpass, and wtmp... but none of that seems relevant to
this. Like I said, I am able to do everything you suggested... I don't
know about changing the default settings -- I was just worried about
getting the drivers installed first... and I did. All of my Win2k drivers
(and a couple that are Win2k and NT4 together) are installed fine.
However, it is when I go to [Additional Drivers...]

> > 1) When I attempt to add additional drivers (the inital driver worked just
> > fine, when using the instructions in John's HOWTO),
>
> John's HOWTO Collection will soon include this drafted document:
>
>      http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/
>
> This one is very much extended and should soon count as the real reference
> when RTFM-ing   ;-)

Actually, much of the wording is familiar to me... is it just that this is
an amended version of John's HOWTO, or would I have had to have seen this
to remember it?

> > I get the following
> > error:
> >
> > "The printer driver you selected is either not compatible with your
> > current version of Windows, or it may not be available. Select a
> > compatible driver from the list, or contact your administrator for help."
>
> Please heck <sic> the sections
>
>     http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/Samba-HOWTO-Collection-3.0-PrintingChapter-9th-draft.html#10
> and
>     http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/Samba-HOWTO-Collection-3.0-PrintingChapter-9th-draft.html#11_2_10

Yup, did this right too.

> > ...as this is an M$ error, I've been having trouble figuring it out as far
> > as Samba goes. Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to add Win 95-98
> > drivers with Win2k Professional to a Samba PRINT$ share? The Win2k driver
> > I added first was fine. A possibly related problem is my inability to use
> > enumprinters:
> >
> > # /products/samba/bin/rpcclient //localhost -U novosirj -c "enumprinters"
> > Password:
> > cmd = enumprinters
> > rpc_api_pipe: cmd 26 on pipe 7530 failed to return data.
> > result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> This could be a Samba/rpcclient bug in your particular version of Samba....

I saw complaints about this on the mailing list at one point -- nothing
conclusive however. Something about "too many print queues" perhaps... I
can't imagine it would still be in the most recent version if there was a
complaint about this earlier. Also, the last person who complained about
this was asked for a debug-level-10 rpcclient run of enumprinters. I don't
actually know how to do this, unless he meant that smbd should be at level
10 and then rpcclient should be run.

> > 2) I have an NT4 machine that I'm using as a print monitor, to show users
> > the queue when they stand near the printer. However, when switching from
> > '98 to NT (NT works better for this purpose,
>
> NT printing works very differently from Win 98 printing...

Yup, I know.

> > from what I've seen), I am
> > now having problems with the queue not updating. Sometimes there will be
> > no change in the queue until I hit F5 -- not the way I want it to work.
> > "lpq cache time= " seems not to have anything to do with it.
> >
> > Anyone got some answers?
>
> No -- but some questions for you to answer first....   ;-)

Well, the queue refresh problem I would think is a config problem on some
end, but I can't figure up how the config would/should be changed that
would have any effect on this.

> Which is the UNIX print subsystem you are using on the Samba host? CUPS?
> LPRng? Something else? Which version of it?

I'm using LPRng 3.8.12. Samba 2.2.8a. HP-UX 11.0. Umm... can't think of
anything else you might want. Interestingly enough, this DOES work at home
on my Linux server -- I can do "additional drivers" there, and do not get
this error. There I am running 2.2.3a-12 for Debian.

Thanks for your time, Kurt!

|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  |  | Ryan Novosielski - Jr. UNIX Systems Admin
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _|  | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent. | IST/ACS - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630