[Samba] Samba and Cups

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri May 23 17:54:19 GMT 2003

Kevin Smith ksmith at perfht.com

> Fri May 23 12:01:01 GMT 2003
>

> Yes I see that, the CUPS printcap has just the printer sharename in it.
> Now CUPS does work as far as printing test sheets from the Web Interface,
> the issue seems to be why samba doesn't recognize it

You need to restart Samba or at least do a

    "kill -HUP `pidof smbd`"

to have newly installed CUPS (and other?) printers recognized by Samba.

Note, that this is not the intended behaviour, but a bug in various recent
2.2.x releases as well as the current 3.0alpha24.

Intended behaviour is to have it available in "near-realtime".

> and let me add the
> printer to the clients. There is always a possibility that Im missing
> something.
> In the Win9X clients, when I try to add a printer, it says the share isn't
> there. Now I don't have a model printer share ([Epson] ect.) in the
> smb.conf, but from all Vie read, I shouldn't need one, CUPS should take care
> of all that.

That's right. Re-start smbd or send all smbd processes a HUP and see
if this works then.