[Samba] LDAP & Kerberos

Gordon Pritchard gordonp at sfu.ca
Fri May 23 16:20:31 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 06:43, SvS wrote:

> why almost all of U are usiing samba+ldap+kerberos

	I am not using kerberos.

> I don't ever now what they (LDAP and Krb) are used for.

	Here's a quick overview of LDAP:

	LDAP (lightweight directory access protocol) is used in this case to
provide a single point-of-maintenance for your user-list.  Otherwise,
the "old" way would be to maintain your Unix/Linux /etc/passwd file, and
then synchronize your Samba user/password.

	LDAP stores information according to 'schemas', which is basically a
plan for what information should be stored.  Smart people have put
together (and refined) a Samba-schema, providing the necessary
information for both Unix/Linux and Windows users.

>  Maybe U would be so kind to
> give me some advices considering this topic or some url's where i can
> find same topics disscussions. Thanks for your patience! ^)

	There are a *lot*.  Some of the best can be an individual's notes that
were made during setup/configuration - your best bet is to Google, read,
and find the best ones that help with the particular problem you are
trying to solve.

	Before you have problems though ;-) a great reference is the official
(and unofficial) Samba documentation, and books:

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/indexpdf.html (it's a
bit old, but it's free ;-) )

	...and for LDAP:

http://www.openldap.org/ then follow their documentation link
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ldapsa/desc.html

	Putting it all together:

http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/ldap-smb-2_2-howto.html
...and some good notes also on ibm.com

	Hope this helps!
	-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers