[Samba] Net bios Look ups

Paul Kraus pkraus at pelsupply.com
Thu May 22 13:10:36 GMT 2003

For some reason all of my Linux servers all of a sudden can't look up
net bios names.
Everything has been working great for months.

If I do an smbclient -L ipaddress on any of them they all can see the
master browser and show its name in the output.

But if I try and do an smbclient -L systemname it immediately dumps out
to the internet and tries to resolve the name using DNS.

This of course does not work.

I have many scripts that rely on mount -t smbfs that no longer work
because they can not resolve the names. My internal network is all dhcp
assigned addresses so that I can not hard code. I should not have to any
ways.

This is on all of the servers not just one. I am really at a loss and
its driving me nuts. Going on day 7 of trying to figure this out. It has
to be something stupid. Something I am over looking. I posted something
similar a couple of days ago and didn't get one response. I have to
resolve this. This is the reason my employer didn't want me going the
Linux route. I talked them into it but I have to have resolution ASAP.
Please any assistance would be very appreciated.

HELP,
Paul