[Samba] Strange problem with HP DeskJet 980cxi and HP Color InkJet CP1700

Kopmann, Goetz Goetz.Kopmann at airbus.com
Wed May 21 13:33:10 GMT 2003

We have a last problem (I hope) before rolling out our new SMB domain using
SuSE Linux 8.2 with Samba 2.2.7a and cups 1.1.18. It seams that not every
windows printer driver is working correctly.

Samba is configured as a PDC and distributes the windows printer driver
files. The printing system is cups. Printers are connected via
JetDirect-boxes to the network. Printers like the HP LaserJet 4100 work
fine with the Microsoft and the HP drivers. A double click on the printer
icon in the network neighbourhood downloads the driver and the printer is
accessible.

For the HP DeskJet 980 cxi and HP Color Inkjet CP1700 we only have the
original HP drivers. After downloading them from the server the printer is
not accessible. If I try to view the properties dialog of the printer I
receive an access-violation (0xc0000005) from Explorer.exe and I'm unable
to print :-<

The only printer driver I got the DJ 980 cxi running with, is the DJ 855C.
For the CP1700 I haven't found any. If I use the original drivers on the
client side and communicate directly via TCP/IP with the printer -
everything is ok.

Has anyone else heard anything about a similar problem ?

Here is the configuration:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/05/21 12:02:54

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = CIMPA
	netbios name = CIMSRV02
	server string = Samba on CIMSRV02
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad Password
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 10
	log file = /var/log/log.smbd
	time server = Yes
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
	printcap name = CUPS
	character set = ISO8859-15
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
	logon script = logon.bat
	logon drive = U:
	domain logons = Yes