[Samba] Inefficient Winbind behavior?

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Wed May 21 01:23:56 GMT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:22:38AM -0400, SRuth at LANDAM.com wrote:

> I've done some investigating and have found that winbindd queries WINS for a
> domain controller for the 2003 domain, which it finds just fine and is able
> to authenticate users against.  However, the problem is that the server it's
> finding is on a different subnet, connected via a T1 WAN link.  So it uses
> the remote server instead of a local 2003 DC, which is acting as a BDC, that
> resides on the same LAN as the Samba server.
>
> Shouldn't winbindd use the local DC?  Can I configure it to do so?  I'm
> fairly convinced that authenticating over the WAN link is causing the delays
> I'm experiencing.  Any ideas are welcome.

You should be able to specify which domain controller to use with the
'password server' smb.conf parameter.  When there is no password server
specified winbindd should pick the "closest" domain controller.

Is there anything in the logs about errors contacting closer DCs?
That's the only reason I can think that the remote DC is being chosen
over local ones.

Tim.