[Samba] printing question on BSD

Kelly Martin tmp at redbeet.com
Wed May 21 00:35:03 GMT 2003

I cannot connect to my Samba printer; my Win2k client says "access
denied, unable to connect", yet I can browse to the printer fine. I hope
someone can offer advice... I'm running OpenBSD 3.2.

My /etc/printcap file is as follows:

#raw printer
raw|raw printer for Windows clients
        :rw
        :rp=raw
        :sh
        :lp=/dev/lpt0
        :sd=/var/spool/samba

I can print to the printer fine from UNIX, doing a 'cat /etc/hosts >
/dev/lpt0' as a test, so the printer is working. My smb.conf file has
the following entry:

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = yes
# I added the following because it seemed right
   print command = lpr -b -P%p %s

I can browse to the printer but Windows can't connect. Commenting out
the print command made no difference. Interestingly, there is no port
selected in the Win2k printer config, and no way to add a new port there
either. Strange.

I read through the online documentation, to no avail. I wonder if this
is an issue with my printcap file and lpd instead of samba??

  / tmp at redbeet.com
    www.redbeet.com