[Samba] XP Joining Samba Domain

bgmilne at cae.co.za bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue May 20 21:00:01 GMT 2003

> Buchan..thanks again for the support!
>

>> _Chris McKeever_ wrote:
>> > Here is my log file when I try to join a new computer (XP)
>> as well as the
>> > ldap entry for it
>> > I have tried with the account pre-existing and with the account not
>> existing, and I get the same error.
>> >

>> Is this joining to the PDC or the BDC?
>
> Those logs are from when it tries to join the BDC when the machine
> account _already_ exists

Then we know what the problem is by elimination ...

>> > Please Note: that authenticating with an already joined
>> machine works
>> fine.
>> > and that the other machine is called marketing-x so I know
>> that the hyphen
>> > is not the issue.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help me with this, I am going in circles.
>> >
>> > -----------------------------
>> > ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
>> "cn=ldap,dc=prupref,dc=com"
>> > [2003/05/20 09:44:13, 2] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldap_connect_system(331)
>> >   ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
>> > [2003/05/20 09:44:13, 2] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldap_search_one_user(343)
>> >   ldap_search_one_user: searching
>> > for:[(&(uid=marketing-y$)(objectclass=sambaAccount))]
>> > [2003/05/20 09:44:13, 2] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:init_ldap_from_sam(756)
>> >   Setting entry for user: marketing-y$
>> > [2003/05/20 09:44:13, 0]
>> passdb/pdb_ldap.c:pdb_update_sam_account(1104)
>> >   failed to modify user with uid = marketing-y$ with: No such object

Assuming you have samba-2.2.8 or later, it should show that it rebinds to
the master (assuming you slave returns a referral on a write request). It
will of course rebind with the dn in the BDC's smb.conf with the password
you set on the BDC with smbpasswd -w

So, your problem is either
1)You haven't setup referrals
2)Your dn used in the smb.conf on the slave does not have write access to
the machine account. Note, samba-2.2.x will want to write all the
attributes for the account (not just the ones that change).
3)You didn't give samba on the BDC it's LDAP password.

Regards,
Buchan