[Samba] Can't resolve local names - Master Browser Issues? Production servers please help!!!!

Paul Kraus pkraus at pelsupply.com
Tue May 20 14:44:11 GMT 2003

I have 4 Linux servers all running samba.
Everything has been working fine until yesterday.
With no changes to the network or to the servers samba has quit working
right.

The problems all relate to samba not being able to look up names against
the master browser.
When I try to mount using a windows pc name I get this error...

[root at fileserver pdk]# mount -t smbfs -o username=pdk,passowrd=XXXXX
//pkraus/c$ /mnt/network
timeout connecting to 66.172.0.150:139
Error connecting to 66.172.0.150 (Operation already in progress)
27566: Connection to pkraus failed
SMB connection failed

I have no idea what 66.172.0.150 is. That is definitely not on our
network.

But if I mount using the ip address 192.168.254.100 instead of pkraus
then everything mounts correctly but it still returns this error...
27560: session request to 192.168.254.100 failed (Called name not
present)
27560: session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)

I thought maybe one of our new xp machines which have not been setup to
handle smb passwords may have been elected as master browser (my other
xp machines had at the same time lost the ability to see anything in net
neighborhood.) so I set my windows 2000 machine to be preferred browser.
This restored the old xp machines ability to see the network computers.
But it did not resolve the issuse I am having with the Linux box.

These are 4 PRODUCTION servers all using samba heavily for backups faxes
ect..

Please help ASAP. I have spent the last 4 hours searching the net and
can find no answers.

Paul