[Samba] Fwd: RE: Newbie Configuration of 2.2.3a on HP-UX 11.0

Nicola Faravelli n.faravelli at pibergroup.com
Tue May 20 07:29:34 GMT 2003

It's good choice if  You first upload Your version of  samba with new version
http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/operating/hpuxcifs9000/
(Cifs is SAMBA for HP-UX).
I use this samba configuration and I have no problem:
I suggest You to change security option in
security = USER
this is better and more secure.Security=share is option for old samba !

You must create unix users , samba users and map windows users with samba
user.
For example: Your Win user is  "name.win" :
You must create a unix users "name" (with SAM) than you must create
samba user "name" with smbpasswd (also with tools SWAT that is more easy)
finally you must map your Win users with samba users.

In sam.conf  you find this a config-line:
username map=/etc/opt/sambausername.map
This option allows you to specify a file containing a mapping of usernames
from the clients to the server.
In this file You must write this record
name=name.win
root=administrator
ecc.

Regars
Nicola Faravelli
EDP - Pibergroup s.r.l.
n.faravelli at pibergroup.com

I have installed Samba with a depot I downloaded from the HP-UX Porting
and Archive Center.  We have an intranet site on an HP-UX 11.0 box, and
ultimately, my goal is to have links on the Web pages open up files
(Word docs, etc.) on various Windows machines (XP, 2000, NT).

I'm having difficulty getting Samba to work at all.  I've scoured past
newsgroup posts, and I'm not finding the solution I need.

I have a Windows 2000 PC, and I'm trying to connect to the HP-UX
machine.  Following is my current smb.conf on the HP machine:

[global]

        workgroup = UNIX
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes