[Samba] permission to subdirectory

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Tue May 20 02:28:01 GMT 2003

Here's an example of the smb.conf file of mine

[homes]
comment = home directory
browsable = no
writable = yes
valid users = %S
create mode = 0665
directory mode = 0775

I would presume that /home/account/folder1 folder2 will be mapped as the
user's home directory. (make sure that in your /etc/passwd file the default
home directory is /home/account/folder1 folder2 etc.

Hence once exec 1,2 connect to the server, they would be connected to that
directory.
Just make account manager's home directory to /home/account

But then, I doubt that that is a GOOD config. Then what happens to user's
home dir and their 'personal' files?

For me, I would just make a link (symbolic) to /somewhere/account or
/somewhere/account/folder1 etc from  the user's home directory eg:
/home/user1--
								|->link to
/somewhere/account/folder1

That's how I'm doing it for my server and users.

Just need to set the appropriate 'permissions'.

Cheers,
Mun Heng, Ow
H/M Engineering
Western Digital M'sia