[Samba] local master browser

Preston.Newton at txucom.com Preston.Newton at txucom.com
Mon May 19 18:40:03 GMT 2003

You can use this reg hack to disable Win 2000 Pro systems from attempting
to become a master browser on a domain...should work...if this one doesn't
check out www.regedit.com and see what they have to say.

Save the following lines to a file with a .reg extension....good luck

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]
"IsDomainMaster"="FALSE"
"MaintainServerList"="No"

             "Peter"
             <peter at easynix.co
             Sent by:                  <samba at lists.samba.org>
             samba-bounces at lis                                          cc
             ts.samba.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Samba] local master browser
             05/19/2003 01:28
             PM

Hi list,
I have a network with a Linux server, running samba 2.2.x,
and 10 Workstation. 3 of the workstation are Win2000 and
the rest is Win98 and WinME.
In the logfiles I see that every 10 Minutes the Win2000
Workstations are forcing a election to become the local master
browser for the network. The server wins the election each time
but there is still a small amount of time (maybe 4 minutes) where
the server is not the local master browser and some of the user
encounter interruptions.
Is there anything I can do to stop the elections either in smb.conf
or at the Win2000 Workstation?
I would be thankful for any hint or idea.
Peter

---