[Samba] Logwatch - malformed password entry(uid not number)

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Mon May 19 09:16:17 GMT 2003

Hi All,

	I've the following in the logs and am wondering why they are there.
I also keep getting emails from SAMBA log-deamon (or something like that).

[2003/05/19 15:24:29, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:getsmbfilepwent(364)
getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)

It's not really serious (at least to me) but it's a cause for concern. Below
are the details

LInux Redhat 8.0
Samba 2.2.7-5.8.0 - Security Rollup fix
pam_smbpasswd.so enabled.

I've got smbpasswd and passwd database sync'ed together using PAM. Since
Redhat's shipping samba is 'flawed' and not pam e-nabled, I recompiled it
using source and Redhat's errata. (i'm pretty sure I did it correctly)

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Mun Heng, Ow
H/M Engineering