[Samba] W2k client with AD can't access linux-Samba 2.2.1a

SDReimann at gmx.de SDReimann at gmx.de
Mon May 19 06:25:00 GMT 2003

Hello List,

I need help to access my private linux box using my company laptop (w2k).
The smb connection between both computers worked fine for the last years.

Now, during the last couple of weeks our internal IT-department was closed
and outsourced. A new external company installed an Active Directory server
and somehow managed to migrate my laptop, too, to use the company's AD  (I
didn't even notice).

I cannot connect to my home Samba server anymore. When I try I get the
messages "System error 1311 has occurred." "There are currently no logon servers
available to service the logon request."

As stated, I am at home with my laptop (W2k Server, SP3). My laptop receives
a DHCP address by the linux box (Suse 7.3, Samba 2.2.1a). On the laptop the
WINS server entry is still set according to the company's DHCP server, which
is invalid at home. (until now I assume this is unimportant)

Now I am completely out of ideas. I supply my commented data to you, hoping
that someone finds the time to have a look at it and perhaps can help. Or
perhaps someone knows someone else who could
help.

I appreciate all your efforts, and I don't even know how much to thank you
in advance for your time!
Siggi

laptop ipconfig:
        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sreimann
        Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . : foo.local
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : foo.local
                                            foo
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
	  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : foo
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Xircom CardBus Ethernet 100 +
Modem 56 (Ethernet Interface)
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-A4-A0-7A-9C
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.210 #correct address!
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 #like in the
company!
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.5.170 #unimportant,
linux box is standalone
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.5.170 #correct
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.5.170 #INVALID linux box
has no DNS!!!!
        Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 172.16.17.129 #INVALID

Here's the smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = FOO
        os level = 2
        kernel oplocks = No
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        guest account = Nobody
        map to guest = Bad User
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
# a mapping exists for 'sreimann' to the linux 'sreimann' account.
# On my w2k-box i am logged in as foo/sreimann although the new
# AD domain has been named 'foo.local', while the old Domain was
# named 'foo' ??!!??
        log level = 4
        printing = LPRNG
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = Yes
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
# both following do not work.
;       local master = no
        local master = yes

        interfaces = 169.254.5.170/255.255.0.0

        wins support = No
        character set = ISO8859-15
        client code page = 850

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0640
        directory mask = 0750
        browseable = No
[cdrom]
        comment = Linux CD-ROM
        path = /media/cdrom
        locking = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/tmp
        create mask = 0600
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

The laptop event log shows following interesting entries:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	NETLOGON
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	5719
User:		N/A
Computer:	SREIMANN
No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain FOO.
The following error occurred:
The account used is a computer account. Use your global user account or
local user account to access this server.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Next error occours all the time, even when connected to the company LAN
Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Userenv
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	1000
User:		NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:	SREIMANN
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722).
Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	DnsApi
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	11156