[Samba] [Q] Why does it take so long for XP to logon?

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Sun May 18 14:59:51 GMT 2003

If I login to our Samba box (RedHat 7.1 + 2.4.20) under Windows 2K
via Start->Run->share name, I get logged in almost immediately. It
averages about 25 seconds under XP. This behavior has been true in
various versions of Samba since I believe XP was available and is
reproducible on every (several) Windows 2K/XP boxes I have tried.
This is a workgroup environment with Samba acting as master browser.
It doesn't matter whether the share is referenced as an IP address or
NetBIOS name.

Other keywords: login delay logon delay no response wait long delay
Windows 2000 Windows XP

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu