[Samba] WinXP. Samba and Router connection problem

Gary Baranzini conanjb at attbi.com
Sat May 17 16:12:04 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have samba-2.2.8 installed on Slackware 9.0.  I'm able to use
smbclient from this linux machine to access all the services defined in
smb.conf.

I installed the WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg patch to my WinXP Pro machine.
When I attempt to access samba services from the WinXP PC, it fails:
c:> net use L: \\MYLINUX\tmp

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

I have both the WinXP Pro machine and the Linux machine connected to a
LinkSys Router, which is connected to a cable modem.

Does the router require any special forwarding configurations for samba?
Do I need to do anything special because the router is between the two
machines?

Any help would be appreciated.

gary