[Samba] Winxp netlogon script

Truman tlackey at dmsidaho.com
Fri May 16 18:40:59 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I am having problems running a logon script from a Winxp pro client.  It
appears that the logon script is not being run at all.  Win98 runs the
script fine, but none of the Winxp pro clients are currently running it.
I am running RedHat 7.1 with Samba version 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix.
My smb.conf is as follows:

[global]
        netbios name = LOKKI
        server string = Lokki PDC
        workgroup = LINUX
        os level = 99

        preferred master = YES
        domain master = YES
        local master = YES
        domain logons = YES

        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        time server = YES

        security = user
        guest ok = NO
        invalid users = bin deamon sys man postfix mail ftp
	  admin users = @wheel

        domain admin group = @wheel

        encrypt passwords = YES
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon drive = h:
        logon home = \\LOKKI\%u
        #logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%u
        hosts allow = 10.3.40.
        wins support = YES

        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g workstation
-s /bin/false -M %u
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        #passwd chat debug = yes
        min password length = 6
        null passwords = No
        printing = lprng

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
        path=/home/netlogon
        public = NO
        writeable = NO
        browsable = NO
        locking = NO

[apps]
        path = /apps
        read only = No
        valid users = root @workstation
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

[POINT]
        path = /POINT/Database
        read only = No
        valid users = root @workstation
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

When I look into the log file for the Winxp pro client that is logging
in it is never opening the logon.bat file.  I have tried various version
of the netlogon share and I can not get it working again. The
permissions for the logon.bat file are as follows and it is a DOS file
in the /home/netlogon directory:
-rwxr--r--    1 root     workstat      493 May 16 12:04 logon.bat

Apparently I changed something in my testing and I have no clue as to
what I changed.  Everything else appears to working normally.

Any help on how to get logon scripts running again would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Truman Lackey
tlackey at dmsidaho.com