[Samba] PDC's 1B (and 1C) missing from wins ?

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Fri May 16 18:33:00 GMT 2003

I have a 2.2.8 (on RH 8.0) samba that is supposed to be PDC yet upon
starting it I get only 00 and 1e records in wins for that name! When a XP ws
attempts to join the domain it asks for a Domain<1b> record and ethereal
shows that "request name does not exist". Duh! I could tell that from the
wins.dat file... So the question is how do I force samba to be pdc after all
and register 1b (and 1C?)?

Please note that Domain shows in wins with 00 and 1e. Smbclient -L from two
difeerent machines shows the PDC as the master for that domain. But it does
not tell me what kind of master is that...

Relevant parts from smb.conf:

load printers = no
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes