[Samba] Question on LDAP+Samba+PDC

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Fri May 16 17:34:38 GMT 2003

Just wanted to follow up here really quickly.

I have been working with those idealx scripts, and they really look like
they will be the answer to my questions and problems.

I just have a few more questions. Obviously, with the idealx scripts, I can
add my own groups as I need and place my users into the specific group with
smbldap-usermod -G <group> <user>

That is simple enough. That will add a user to a specific group. After
that, I can set the password for the user by using smbpasswd -a <user>,
correct?

The next question I have is on the adding of machine accounts. Now, i've
added a few lines in my smb.conf file, a script, that should automatically
add a machine to the LDAP directory, correct? Here is what i've added:

add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -w %u
passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd.pl -o %u

I've also seen this script:

add user script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl -w -d
/dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine Account' -s /bin/false %u

 From what i'm guessing, the last script should add the machine accounts
directly, correct?

So once i've added my user to a group, set the password for the user, I
should THEN be able to go to that clients machine (Win2K) and add that
computer and client to the domain, correct?

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate everyones help and patience.

Jason