[Samba] some simple samba problems

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu May 15 20:51:46 GMT 2003

Well, I think you will have to go on something besides noise in the printer
to trouble shoot this thing.

I don't know a thing about cups. I gave up on it because it was too
complicated for me. lprng works fine.

The print process in samba is very simple. The windows client sends the
preformatted or filtered job to the spool directory on the samba server (the
path parameter.) Then samba invokes the server printing command. With cups,
the commands are hidden from you, which doesn't make this problem any
easier, it seems.

SO, I would try this.

Make printing = lprng
Make your printing command = echo "the print job is %s" > /tmp/signal

Then try to print the job with the cups command, whatever that is.

When you say you send a test page, this is a problem. A "test page" if
generated by the printer installation program may be sent to a special
queue, not the queue you send your other jobs to.  Yes,  I know, this
is crazy but....
     On my lexmark the test page, a complicated binary file
     just for this printer,  went to a raw queue, whereas the
     real print jobs got sent to a postscript queue. Go figure.

Joel