[Samba] PDF Samba Printer - ps2pdf Only Letter Size?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu May 15 15:23:37 GMT 2003

Matthew Western mwestern at affairs.net.au wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Thu May 15 16:09:39 GMT 2003
>

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a nice working pdf samba printer emailing the right person
 > thanks to PeteFwee and David F and am doing a little testing. I've
 > just realized that it's set to Letter when it creates the .pdf file.
 > and i've googled till i'm blue in the face and can't see any options
 > that says page size or something similar. i'm running ghostscript 7.04.
> does anybody know how to make ps2pdf do A4 size paper?

 From the script below I conclude you are using it based on CUPS
(though you don't mention it.)

CUPS uses "PPDs" to configure printers and to offer user-selectable
printjob options that may be applied to the printer.

This PPD may or may not include an option to change paper sizes
(depending on the printer).

A "PDF" printer can certainly support various paper sizes. There is
no "ideal" PPD for a PDF printer out there. I may go on a write one
as soon as I find the time. For the time being, you may want to resort
to the distiller.ppd (which users of Acrobat Distiller on Windows may
have in their [print$] share. This gives you options to select paper
size as well as resolutions of vector-based graphics in the output.

Which PPD is used for your current PDF printer?

You may want to read the short HOWTO posted by "Tom" in March on this
list, or the whole thread about it with lots of background info:

    http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2003-March/093504.html
    http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2003-April/093503.html

The general (CUPS) printing background explanations are here:

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/

Cheers,
Kurt

> Here's my slightly modified script so it mails the user back...

BTW, there is no modification obvious in what you posted....

> Regards
>
> Matthew

Cheers,
Kurt