[Samba] Redhat firewall problem...

linux power linuxpower2002 at yahoo.no
Thu May 15 10:30:59 GMT 2003

I thought redhat used ipchains in lokkit, but perhaps they have changed that in newer versions. However it's the correct ports you have opened, but you must also allow access from the lan to the server. Ie. If your lan cardon the lindoze  have address 192.168.0.1
 Then you must add this in ipchains.
/sbin/ipchains -I input 1 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT
This will insert the statement as the first line in the ipchains rules.
However to make it permanent you must edit the /etc/sysconfig/ipchains
file and save it using /sbin/services ipchains save
North Lilly <nlilly at slis.kent.edu> wrote:
I've just tried setting up a Shrike (9) version of Redhat. Using the
medium settings of lokkit, then adding manually accept commands for
ports 137/udp 138/udp, 139/tcp and 445/tcp, I thought I should have been
ready to go.

This isn't the case, however. I know it's not the smb.conf settup
because when I kill iptables samba works.

When iptables IS running however, it will respond to a connect request
but not seem to accept the ID and password supplied.

What am I missing??

North Lilly