[Samba] CUPS and Samba 3.0 - printers no show

Ken Sarkies matou at picknowl.com.au
Thu May 15 10:30:28 GMT 2003

Hi [Samba]s

I have RedHat 8.0, and have installed a compiled CUPS 1.1.19pre4 and
Samba 3.0 (latest this week from CVS). It all compiles and installs OK
with CUPS support in Samba, but no printers show up (according to
smbclient -L or from windoze) when "printing=cups" is used. It is OK if
another form of printing is used, for example "printing=sysv". A
reversion to Samba 2.2.8a however works perfectly with the identical
setup, including configure options. Installation and use of printers
goes through OK. I assume others have had success with Samba 3 and CUPS
as I haven't seen any problem posts so far. My ntadmins group include
administrator accounts for windoze and also root, all of whom have
entries in smbpasswd.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Many Thanks, Ken

smb.conf

# Global Settings
[global]

   netbios name = HTA41
   workgroup = TRINITY_NT
   server string = Samba Server 3.0 Experimental
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

# PRINTERS

   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   printer admin = @ntadmins

# LOGGING

   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 0

# AUTHENTICATION now needs to be done here - setup as BDC

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
   pam password change = yes
   obey pam restrictions = no

# BROWSER CONTROL OPTIONS for BDC

   local master = yes