[Samba] windows printer queue failure

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Wed May 14 16:13:18 GMT 2003

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de wrote on Samba-Digest:
>

>> I am driving Suse 8.2, samba 2.2.7a, cups 1.1.18
>>
>> As I mentioned recently I cannot see the cups printer queues from a
>> windows client even if lpq -Pprinter on the cups server gives the
>> correct status.
>> I tested a litte more and got the following results:
>>
>> 1.) If I configure samba to
>>     printing = CUPS
>>     printcap name = CUPS
>>      I can see all queue entries in the windows status panel, too --
>> except for those jobs, that were sent by users with account names >= 8
>> characters.
>

> Interesting observation.
>
> How is the authentication setup of your system? I assume this is just a
> standalone Samba server? Or are you authenticating your Windows clients
> via a third source?
>
> Is the underlying Linux supporting user names longer than 8 chars?

Yes:

printhost:~ # id hochschulteam
uid=7741(hochschulteam) gid=30(extern) groups=30(extern)

[hochschulteam at printhost->~] 10) lpr -Ptest /etc/group
[hochschulteam at printhost->~] 11) lpq -Ptest
test is not ready
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
1st     hochschu8388    group                           1024 bytes

I cannot see this job in a windows status panel.

> (Just to clarify: is it really also a problem with account names = 8
> chars?)

Yes:
[ridcully at printhost->~] 3) lpq -PTest
Test is not ready
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
1st     hochschu8388    group                           1024 bytes
2nd     ridcully8389    group                           1024 bytes

I cannot see the 2nd job, too.

>> 2.) If I configure samba to
>>     printing = sysv
>>     printcap name = CUPS
>

> Shouldn't you use "printcap = /etc/printcap" ? (Probably smbd doesn't
> understand this setting anyway and therefore chooses the compiled-in
> default -- you could verify this by asking "testparm | grep printcap",
> "[ENTER]" twice...)

printhost:~ # testparm | grep printcap

         printcap name = CUPS

I tested with /etc/printcap, too. No difference.

> Check if you get a better result from the "lpq -P printername" variant....

I already checked this out. No difference.

--
Regards
Christoph Litauer
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum,        http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/public-key.html