[Samba] windows printer queue failure

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Wed May 14 15:45:49 GMT 2003

Christoph Litauer wrote:
> I am driving Suse 8.2, samba 2.2.7a, cups 1.1.18
>
> As I mentioned recently I cannot see the cups printer queues from a
> windows client even if lpq -Pprinter on the cups server gives the
> correct status.
> I tested a litte more and got the following results:
>
> 1.) If I configure samba to
>     printing = CUPS
>     printcap name = CUPS
>     I can see all queue entries in the windows status panel, too --
> except for those jobs, that were sent by users with account names >= 8
> characters. Is this a bug?
>
> 2.) If I configure samba to
>     printing = sysv
>     printcap name = CUPS
>     lpq command = lpstat -o %p
>   I can see the jobs only as they appear on the samba-/cups-server. They
> disappear from the status panel immediatly when the spooling is
> finished. Should it work? Anybody else has this problem?

Another amazing thing is that I can use
	print command = my own command with parameters
even if I configured
	printing = CUPS
	printcap name = CUPS

My smbd is linked against cups:
printhost:~ # ldd `which smbd`
         libacl.so.1 => /lib/libacl.so.1 (0x40026000)
         libcups.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcups.so.2 (0x4002d000)

Here is what the documentation says:
"With printing = cups, and if SAMBA is compiled against libcups, any
manually set print command will be ignored."

And yes I am shure "my own command" is executed

I am a little bit confused ... what's happening here?
--
Regards
Christoph Litauer
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum,        http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/public-key.html