[Samba] Random Password Expirations

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed May 14 13:42:50 GMT 2003

We have two users whose Samba passwords seem to expire somewhat
randomly (I'm sure it's monthly or something like that). Both of them
are Win2K users.

So, I've got a couple questions:

1.) `smbpasswd -a <username>` does not, by default, set an expiration
for a password, does it? (I don't think so, otherwise I'd've seen this
problem *way* more often by now, but I want to be sure)

2.) Are there any utilities to browse the tdbsam backend file, to see
the properties for a given username (e.g., to confirm when I delete the
user that they're really gone, and that when I create them their
password is not set to expire)

3.) I'm told by my help desk folks, that they've double checked, and
the windows client itself is not set to expire passwords. Since I'm not
a windows user myself, can someone point out to me the various places
where the client might be setting an expiration date, so I can be sure
those are all un-set?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,