[Samba] se3tting up samba as a PDC to serve XP clients

Ben Robinson Administrator at click-on.co.uk
Wed May 14 12:20:43 GMT 2003

I have been setting up Windows servers to serve windows clients for many
years and am now looking at samba as an alternative.  I am currently
having a problem setting up samba as a PDC for windows XP clients.  I
can see the samba server through My Network Places.  If I try to access
it I can after putting in one of the usernames and passwords I have set
up using smbpasswd.  I have added a machine trust account (or whatever
they are called) to the samba server using adduser machinename$  and
smbpasswd machinename -m.  This seems to have worked because it lets me
join the XP box to the domain using root username and pword I get the
message welcome to the "clickon" domain you must reboot you computer.  I
reboot the PC and when I go to log on if I change the log on to box the
clickon domain is listed and I can select it but when I try to log on to
the domain I get the message "unable to log on to the domain because
either the domain server is not available or there is no computer
account for this PC in the domain" or words to that effect.  I have not
included my smbd.conf file so as not to spam you all with crap.  But I
can quote any setting if it would shed any light.