[Samba] Outlook.pst corrupt

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue May 13 12:33:04 GMT 2003

Hello,

	First off, I have to say that it is unlikely that there is any problem
with Samba causing the issue. Unless it is related to the very old
critically insecure release of Samba that you are using.

	I have been running a Samba Domain Controller for over 9 months here
with no issues. The server contains all of the user profiles as well as
Outlook.pst files for all users on the network. We also have a few other
"database" applications whose files are located on the Samba servers.
(These are Act! 6.0 and Quickbooks Pro.)

	If there is a problem with Samba, it could have something to do with
your oplocks setting. I must also add that I have seen a pst become
corrupt and never be recoverable before.

	There are a few things that I would do...

	1. Upgrade to the latest release of Samba. The version you are using
has a very serious remote root exploit that will mean your destruction.
(I know, a little melodramatic, but hey sometimes melodrama is
needed...)

	2. Scour the Microsoft knowledge base regarding corrupt PST files. It
is likely that there is another inbox repair tool that you may need to
use on the PST file. I would also copy that file locally and then
attempt the repair. (Thus eliminating Samba from the mix.)

	Good luck!

	Regards,
	Robert Adkins
	IT Manager/Buyer