[Samba] Users capable of changing SAMBA passwords?

Doug Curtis doug.curtis at world-mail.org
Tue May 13 12:12:09 GMT 2003

I have finally gotten this to work so I guess I'll try and answer
this.  Searching for the right answer for your installation in the mailing
list archives can be time consuming.

Yes.  Depending on your installation, getting the passwords to sync and be
the same, may be a little bit of a chore.  For example, I setup Kerberos w/
Ldap for my UNIX authentication.  Using PAM, I was able to get all of the
services I need to authenticate through kerberos.  The samba 2.2 domain
setup was easy.  Allowing the users to be able to change their domain
password (samba) and sync it with the UNIX password took a little bit of
time.  Mainly, it was getting the finding the way for root to be able to
change a user's password WITHOUT asking for the current (old)
password.  After finally reading the man pages carefully (RTFM), I read
that in order for the old password to be used, the passwd program must read
the old password in plain text.  With encrypted passwords turned on, there
wasn't a way to do this.  (Not that I found anyway)  Trying to search for
that info in the archives came up with a few hundred results but none of
them (at least what I had the patience to read) said this. So, I plugged
away at this for a few hours until finally finding it.

Some people use Web cgi programs to sync both passwords, which works and is
usually very simple to setup.  Being that I didn't want the users to
noticed a difference in the change over from an NT server to samba, I went
with the route of getting the Windows password change command to work.  The
web cgi programs are nice because it can let the user change just one of
their passwords. (Why they would change just one and not have them both be
the same, is beyond me but there is always someone who needs this
functionality somewhere for some reason.)

Hope some of this helps.

Doug