[Samba] Replacing WinNT 4 PDC with Samba PDC

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Tue May 13 11:58:10 GMT 2003

> I missed the beginning of this thread, so sorry for asking an obvious
> question: Kevin, what version of Samba are you running?  3.0 or 2.2?

Soren,

Right now in my lab I'm using Samba 2.2.5-10 from Red Hat (in the 8.0
release).  I'm hoping to put 2.2.8x in production on my new server inside of
a month.  I'm waiting on the hardware to begin testing that.

> I've already got 2.2 set up here at my workplace, but I've been
> experimenting with 3.0 and have run into some problems.

I may begin looking at 3.x after I get my new system in place.  I wish it
was "ready for prime time", but I just don't think that any Alpha/Beta code
is ready.  I'll wait until it's officially released to begin thinking about
that.

I've heard (and believe) that Samba 3 would emulate exactly what I have now
with my NT 4.0 setup, (PDCs in each office with Trusts between them), but I
don't have time to wait.  My File Server *needs* to be replaced now just so
I can handle the load.

--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager