[Samba] windows printer queue display fails

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue May 13 11:59:02 GMT 2003

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Tue May 13 10:44:33 GMT 2003
>

> I am driving a Suse 8.2 linux with cups 1.1.18 and samba 2.2.7a.
>
> The problem:
> The host serves several printers via cups. If some jobs are in one of
> the queues "lpq -Pprinter" or "lpstat -o printer" shows up the complete
> listing. Fine.
> Connected to the same print queue from a Windows (XP/NT/98/2k) box I
> cannot see the complete listing. Sometimes I see some of the jobs, most
> of the times I don't see any.

I believe you are hitting the same bug I reported before (months ago).
For me it mosttimes works, sometimes doesn't

> Executing "lpq -S printhost -P printer" on the W2k host gives correct
> results.

But only if you have the LPD client access to CUPS enabled? (I mean
the "cups-lpd" entry in /etc/inetd.conf... Without it, this will not
work, no?)

> I connected via smbclient to the (samba-)printer, did a "queue" command
> - same result, no or not all jobs are displayed.
>
> My smb.conf (the relevant parts):
> [global]
>           workgroup = UNIKO
>           netbios name = PRINTHOST
>           security = SERVER
>           encrypt passwords = Yes
>           password server = tricia
>           time server = Yes
>           unix extensions = Yes
>           socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
>           character set = ISO8859-15
>           os level = 2
>           veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
>           printing = sysv

What are your "print command" and similar parameters like? (If you
don't explicitely set them in smb.conf, check for the ones used as
a fallback, by running "testparm"....)

>           printcap name = /etc/printcap
>
> [printers]
>           comment = All Printers
>           path = /var/tmp
>           create mask = 0600
>           printable = Yes
>           lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o %p
>           guest ok = no
>           browseable = No

Have you played with "lpq cache time"?

> The problem still appears even if I change
> 	printing = cups
> (and yes, my smbd is compiled against cups).
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Let's hope it is fixed in 2.2.9 (whenever that is out....)

> --
> Regards
> Christoph Litauer

Cheers,