[Samba] Users capable of changing SAMBA passwords?

Gregg Sperling gs-list at glsrms.com
Mon May 12 22:34:56 GMT 2003

Hello:

I am an intern-system administrator for a company, and I am
test-installing SAMBA on a development server for later proposal to the
company management for full roll-out of SAMBA across our file sharing
systems.

I searched the archives of the samba at lists.samba.org mailman list, and did
not see any questions of this nature for the last two months.
Additionally, I exhausted my search on google for the answers to this
question.  I apologize in advance if I did not search hard enough.
(trying to avert flames, if possible!)

Is there a way that a user can change his/her own SMBPASSWORD and/or UNIX
(Linux) password without having to grant SSH access to the Samba server
box?

I thought I saw mention of a utility but it appeared to be deprecated.

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Gregg Sperling
gs-list at glsrms.com