[Samba] Delete glitch?

Nick Ogborn Drketrnl43 at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 19:37:39 GMT 2003

Hey, everyone.

I'm running Samba 2.2.8a on a Debian Linux 3.0 box and for some reason, when
someone tries to delete something they can't, it does give them the access
denied message the first time. When they try to do it again, no message
appears and it seems to be deleted (it disappears from the list), but when
they refresh the list, it appears again.

My file system is as follows ("MP3s" is the share):

MP3s - mode 1775
all folders inside MP3s - mode 1777
all files inside those folders - mode 0664
all are owned by user root, group smbadmins

here is my smb.conf:

[global]
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
workgroup = DOMAIN
netbios name = Music
server string =
guest account = smbguest
security = user
wins support = no
wins server = 10.11.12.2
map to guest = bad user

[MP3s]
valid users = +smbadmins, fddewitt, rbjourdan, smbguest
admin users = +smbadmins
read list = smbguest
path = /17gig/MP3s
guest ok = yes
read only = no
force create mode = 0664
force directory mode = 1777

All clients are running Windows 2000 / XP as well.

User fddewitt and rbjourdan are the ones able to "delete" files. I'm trying
to set this up so that they can add files and delete those that they added,
but not delete other people's files.

I'm into Linux and Samba permissions a little bit, but I'm not a wiz by any
means. :) Everything seems to work, it seems to be doing what it's intended
(smbguest cannot delete no matter what and smbadmins can do anything), it's
just those two users seem to be able to delete other people's files but
refreshing causes the file to come back.

Hopefully, it's just something I did wrong and not a glitch I haveta live
with. :(  If there's anything else you need to know, lemme know and I'll be
happy to give it to ya.

Thanks for your time! :)