[Samba] WINS-road warriors-spoolss

Simon Munro simon.munro at fastbase.co.nz
Sun May 11 23:23:24 GMT 2003

Hi

I have an issue with XP PRO laptop users that use their laptops to
login locally on the LAN and also remotely via a VPN connection at
night/weekends.

After logging in remotely the next time they login locally on the LAN
they experience extreme slowness with opening applications such as
Word, printing and browsing print queues etc.

The problem appears to be that the entry for their computername in
the wins database is still pointing to the IP address they had while
connected remotely - the delays/slowness are caused by timeouts while
the smbd/spoolss process tries to connect to the wrong IP address.

I can get around this issue for some sites by setting disable spoolss
= yes in smb.conf thus preventing the spoolss connection to the PC
and the timeouts - however I don't see this as a long term solution.

Any suggestions appreciated - running 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix on
RedHat 7.2 - Samba is acting as the wins server (wins support = yes),
name resolve order is lmhosts wins hosts bcast.

Thanks
Simon