[Samba] smbfs: user cannot create file

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 22:53:43 GMT 2003

Using VMware - Host: WinXP; Guest: Linux 8.0:

Following advice I received elsewhere yesterday,
I modified Linux start up files (level 3) with
mount -t smbfs to connect to a shared directory in
WinXP.  On WinXP, both the directory and the share
permissions give full control to Everyone.  On
Linux, the both /mnt and /mnt/linuxShare have
drwxrwxrwx.

As root, on the Linux side I have full control in the
shared out directory.

As another user in Linux, I cannot create a new file in
the shared out directory.  This fails with cp, vi, and
touch.  Oddly, I can use vi to modify a preexisting file.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.
--