[Samba] Could not fetch trust account password for domain ...

Jeremy Nix Jeremy.Nix at sfsltd.com
Fri May 9 13:51:13 GMT 2003

I'm having some troubles with the winbindd.  When trying to access a
samba share, I receive the above error in the MACHINE_NAME.log file.
I've ran the command smbpasswd -j MY_DOMAIN -r PDC -U Administrator, and
it worked fine.  wbinfo -u returns "Error looking up domain users", but
I'm not sure if this is related to my 1st problem.  I'm going to dump in
my config files, so you all can be an extra set of eyes..

smb.conf:
[global]
	workgroup = SFSDOMAIN1
	netbios name = STANDREWS
	server string = it group only
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	password server = 10.0.0.18 10.0.0.6
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	name resolve order = lmhosts host
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_BROADCAST SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE
	domain master = No
	dns proxy = No
	lock dir = /var/lock/samba
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	template homedir = /home/winnt/%D/%U
	template shell = /bin/bash
	winbind cache time = 10
	comment = it group
	invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news
uupc operator gopher
	admin users = admin nixj
	hosts allow = 10.0.0. 10.0.6.
	preserve case = No
	short preserve case = No

[www]
	comment = HTTP_HOME
	path = /var/www
	read only = No
	create mask = 0765

[jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24]
	comment = TOMCAT_HOME
	path = /opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24
	read only = No
	create mask = 0765

[tmp]
	comment = temp directory
	path = /tmp/samba
	read only = No
	create mask = 0765
	guest only = Yes
	guest ok = Yes

/etc/pam.d/samba:
auth       required	pam_nologin.so
auth       required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth

/etc/nsswitch.conf:
passwd:     files winbind
shadow:     files winbind
group:      files winbind

hosts:      files dns
bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files