[Samba] Samba Installation

John Zoetebier john.zoetebier at transparent.co.nz
Fri May 9 10:41:39 GMT 2003

Ashish Garg wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>Can anyone cross check the steps regarding samba installation in Unix
>
>1. Download package
>2. ./configure from source directory
>3.make
>4. make install
>5. Made following smb.conf file (File I have created)
>
>[global]
>        workgroup = lansource.sto
>        netbios name = GARG
>        encrypt passwords=yes
>        server string = Ashish Samba
>        security = domain
>        domain logons = yes
>
>        #Debugging Information
>        log level = 2
>        log file = /export/home/cbank/ashish/logs
>        max log size = 50
>        debug timestamp = yes
>
>[sources]
>        comment = PVCS Check in Directory
>        path = /export/home/cbank/ashish
>        read only = yes
>        guest ok = yes
>        domain master = no
>
>6.  testparm smb.conf
>          loaded successfully
>
>7. Stated daemons
>
> /usr/local/samba/smbd -D
> /usr/local/samba/nmbd -D
>
>8. smbd testing :
>
>/usr/local/samba/bin > smbclient -U% -L localhost
>added interface ip=192.168.219.7 bcast=192.168.219.63 nmask=255.255.255.192
>Domain=[LANSOURCE.STO] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a]
>        Sharename      Type      Comment
>        ---------      ----      -------
>        sources        Disk      PVCS Check in Directory
>        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Ashish Samba)
>        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Ashish Samba)
>        Server               Comment
>        ---------            -------
>        GARG                 Ashish Samba
>        Workgroup            Master
>        ---------            -------
>        LANSOURCE.STO        GARG
>
>9. smbd testing by netstat :
>
># netstat -a | grep 139
>      *.41394              *.*                0      0 24576      0 BOUND
>#
>

>10 But when i do same for nmbd port --- i don't get any output
>
># netstat -a | grep 137
>      *.41394              *.*                0      0 24576      0 BOUND
>#
>

>1. Can anyone suggest why it is happening
>2. Neither I am able to see my samba share in windiows clientt
>
>First I just wanted to confirmn that at least daemons are OKKK... Please confirm
>
>Your inputs are most welcome. I have already spent 3 days on all this. My special Thanks to manjula who has helped me
>
>rgds
>ashish

The easiest way to maintain Samba is with SWAT.
SWAT allows you to manage Samba with your browser.
Uncomment in /etc/inetd.conf the swat line
Type: /etc/init.d/inetd restart
Start your browser and type: http://localhost:901

You can export manually shares in smb.conf for example:
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    read only = No