[Samba] Samba-PDC on a large site

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu May 8 15:32:41 GMT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Raphaël Berghmans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've to setup a Samba-LDAP-PDC-Profile for a site with 1000 Windows
> clients (NT4, 2000 and XP). What are the hardware requirement for this
> king of config (especially how many RAM I need ?)

I'd allow:
	512MB Base RAM, plus minimum of 500KB per concurrent client
		- plus I'd add a good safety margin

	So for RAM I'd go for 2GB, or more if you could afford it.

Samba uses CPUs. More CPUs is better. I'd shoot for a 4x CPU (if you can
afford it).

Ethernet: I'd use multiple 1 Gbe controllers each going to fast switches
that fan out to your users.

Disk I/O: For 1000 users you want high bandwidth I/O RAID arrays.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org