[Samba] Problems with offline files on Windows2000 and samba-2.2.8a

Ralf Aumueller Ralf.Aumueller at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu May 8 15:29:49 GMT 2003

Hallo,

we have problems with offline files on Windows2000/SP3 (also with XP/SP1) and
samba-2.2.8a.

It works well on shares like eg. [home]. But we have a share which is
used by several different users to share their work. The smb-configuration for
the share is like this:

[work]
    writable = yes
    force create mode = 774
    force directory mode = 774
    force group = workers
    path = /to/work

Let's explain the problem on an example:

The content of the directory /to/work is:

drwxrwxr-x   2 user1       workers         512 May  8 16:22 ./
drwxr-xr-x   3 root        workers         512 May  8 15:21 ../
-rw-rw----   1 user1       workers          16 May  8 15:49 user1.txt
-rw-rw----   1 user2       workers          32 May  8 15:47 user2.txt

User1 marks the folder /to/work on his Win2000 client as an offline folder.
As long as he is online everything works like expected. He can edit and save
both files.
Than User1 goes offline and edit file user2.txt. After he is online again
he trys to synchronise the share. Now he gets an error saying "No permissions
to update file user2.txt" (my translation from a german Windows version :-) ).
If I set the debuglevel of the samba-server to 5 than I see that the file
is opened only "read".

Configuration error? Any solution?

Best regards

Ralf