[Samba] winbind and pam

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu May 8 15:24:45 GMT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, ianux wrote:

> Sorry to repeat, but I think it's a simple question which could help me
> a lot :

Your question is simple, correct! But you provide insufficient information
to enable a clear and unambiguous reply.

> does winbind necessarily use pam ?

Yes and No.

smbd can use winbind directly, so here the answer is NO.

Linux/Unix users who have no local account and are dependant on winbind at
this time only go through PAM, so here  the answer is YES.

With PAM you also need to configure NSSWITCH (/etc/nsswitch.conf) to use
winbind.

> because I use samba on a slackware 8.1 (which doesn't use pam) in domain
> security mode and it seems like the authentification doesn't work (my
> client can see shares bu can't write in it, especially in their home)
> my PDC is a W2000 Server and wbinfo works fine...

To find out what is going on in Samba you need to turn up the "log level"
to 5 or 10, and scan through the Samba (winbind and smbd) logs.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org