[Samba] Removing Domain machine account

Peter Polkinghorne pjmp at ksblaw.co.uk
Thu May 8 13:15:27 GMT 2003

We are running Samba 2.2.8a on Solaris 2.6 as a domain controller.
This in general works fine.

One of our member PCs (running Windows XP) had software installed that changed
the machine name.

However on the change (at which I was not present) the machine does not appear
to have successfully told the Samba domain controller.  There is still a
machine account for the old machine name but none for the new.

The machine with the new name was then changed to being in a workgroup and
attempted to be joined again to the Samba domain.  This failed with the
Windows error message: "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource
by the same user, using more than one user name are not allowed. Disconnect
all connections to the server ..."

Changing the name back and try to rejoin the domain fails.

Removing the smbpasswd entry fails to improve matters.

I am unsure if the problem is that Samba still knows about the PC in its old
guise or that the PC still has domain information or some combination.

Anyhow what can I do short of reinstalling Windows on the PC?

Thanks ...

--
Peter Polkinghorne, IT Manager

KSB Law,
14 Old Square,                  Tel: +44 (0) 20 7447 1200
Lincoln's Inn,                  Fax: +44 (0) 20 7831 2915
London WC2A 3UB                 Web: http://www.ksblaw.co.uk
United Kingdom                  DX 141 LONDON

A list of names of the partners is open to inspection at the above address.