[Samba] Login Script - Please clarify

Adam Smith adam.smith at sageautomation.com
Thu May 8 03:58:57 GMT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:52:09PM +0200, Marian Mlcoch, Ing said:
> Hi San
> your problem is that you use %U in script invalid
> wrong command   net use s: \\public\users\%U
> ok is    net use s: \\public\%U
> but net use x: \\computername\sharename is only accpeted.
> Yuo write \\computername\sharename\dirname but this is bad syntax for net
> command.

No it isn't.  For a Windows 2000 or above system, the syntax is correct.
Unfortunately the usage of the variable is incorrect.

%U may be how the username is represented in Samba, but when the script is
executed on a Windows 2000 client machine, it won't know what to do with
it.  You need to make sure your net use line reads as follows:

NET USE S: \\PUBLIC\USERS\%USERNAME%

Windows will interpret the %USERNAME% variable as the user's login name and
create a drive mapping for \\public\users\%username% assuming it exists.

For a list of other variables Windows uses, type 'SET' from a command
Window or search on Google for "Windows Environment Variables."

> If in script you need map home directory of user you can write net use s:
> \\public\homes in netlogon.bat

This is ugly because it reveals everybody elses home directory.  It does
depend on how you want to set up your own network, of course.

--
Adam Smith
Information Technology Officer

adam.smith at sageautomation.com