[Samba] None

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Thu May 8 02:25:22 GMT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 02:22:00AM +0000, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2003, Joseph Leipert wrote:
>
> > I have Question, I have a school running on samba. I want none of the
> > users to have the right to delete files, but they must be able to write
> > to the files. How do I do that?
>
> You sure do have a question here!
>
> Under Unix/Linux the right to write to a file means the right and ability
> to delete the file. If you can get that changed, then we can accommodate
> your request. Until then, we live and die by the operating system we live
> on top of.

Errr, actually no - UNIX *can* do this. The ability to delete a file is
held in the *directory* the file is contained in, not the file itself.

So to create a directory with files users can write to, but not delete,
set the directory permissions to disallow writing to the group containing
the users (or "other") and set the file permissions to allow the group
containing the users (or "other") to write to the file.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.