[Samba] Attempt to move a WXP client to another Samba domain.

Greg Hobson pertech at iinet.net.au
Wed May 7 07:33:32 GMT 2003

We have successfully added a windows XP client to the domain on the test
network. We are able to logon to the domain, connect to the shares, etc.
all is as it should be.

We then tried to connect the XP client to the production network (same
version of samba, same smb.conf file).

No joy.

We remove the machine from the test network domain, by joining a false
workgroup on the client. Reboot the client. Change the password
(.../smbpasswd -a -m <<machine-name>>) on the samba server, then change
the workgroup to a domain. The pc then prompts me for a user account
with permission to join the domain (I use root as the user). After 30
seconds, the pc replies with a 'The following error occurred attempting
to join the domain "swcl": The specified domain name either does not
exist or could not be contacted.'

I have looked thru the postings and found several issues where clients
are having difficulty in joining the domain initially, but not in moving
the client to another domain with the same samba smb.conf files.

The samba servers are 'identical' machines, with one serving as a 'hot'
spare (production data is copied to the second machine nightly)

I will be most grateful if someone can point out the, what will become,
obvious and help solve this problem fir us.

Cheers,

Greg Hobson

The smb.conf file is :

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.11.12.28 (10.11.12.28)
# Date: 2003/05/05 14:24:17

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = SWCL
	netbios name = SWCL-SUN
	server string = SWCL Samba Server (2.2.7a)
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *successfull*
	unix password sync = Yes
	admin log = Yes
	log level = 1
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
	domain admin group = @tabsuser
	logon script = %U.bat
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	admin users = @tabsuser root

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[Share]
	comment = TABS Shares
	path = /u02/home/share
	read only = No

[netlogon]
	comment = NetLogon directory
	path = /u02/home/NetLogon
	browseable = No
	locking = No

[Public]
	comment = SWCL Public Directory
	path = /u02/home/Public
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender immediately and do not use, store or disclose their contents. Any
views expressed are those of the individual sender and not of Pertech
Holdings Pty Ltd unless otherwise stated.