[Samba] Replacing WinNT 4 PDC with Samba PDC

tech mail tech-mail at prupref.com
Thu May 8 01:17:04 GMT 2003

I am in the midst of something very similar...because of the passwords, I
believe you need to have the users re-assign (or you) thier passwords.  User
informaiton is easily transferable.

I went the LDAP route because, it mimics a PDC/BDC relationship extremely
well.  I currently have two remote servers syncing their account informaiton
with the main (PDC) .. it works great.

So, to answer your question, you can import user information in either the
typical linux passwd/group way or go with a much more robust LDAP
solution..but either way, you need to incorporate a mechanism for users to
change thier passwords (initially just set them to some default)..I chose a
web-based solution for password changes since no user logs into the linux
box, and no user is smart enough to get it right via win98