[Samba] Replacing WinNT 4 PDC with Samba PDC

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Wed May 7 20:33:28 GMT 2003

Hi All!

Thanks to all of you that responded to my previous posts.  I've gotten a lot
more info now than I used to have!

But I still have questions.  The biggest right now is:  Is there a way build
up a Samba PDC as a direct replacement for an existing Windows NT 4.0 PDC?

All the material I've found to date is written from a standpoint of creating
a new domain as you create the Samba machine.  This maybe what I have to do
in the end, but I would like to avoid it if possible.

If there is a way, can someone point me to the right place for the
HOWTO/Documentation?  As of right now, I'm not looking for an LDAP solution,
but if that's what it takes, then that's where I'll go.  For what it's
worth, the setup will be on Red Hat's "ES" Server (with I think is RH 7.3
based) and Samba 2.2.8.

Why do I need this?  Because I have an existing Exchange Server with a 4GB
Information Store that I would have to rebuild as well - not a pretty
picture.  If I can build the Samba PDC as a replacement for the existing
PDC, that's would what I'd like to do.

Thanks,

Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager