[Samba] Incremental Backup Problem

Jordan Reiter jordan at breezing.com
Wed May 7 17:44:11 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to do an incremental backup of a samba system.

I'm not having a problem with that, but it's a webserver and the log files (which are huge) are updated all the time. I really don't want to keep backing them up, as they're not really all that important but take up a lot of disk space.

I am using this command, which to my understanding is supposed to filter out files ending in .log:
smbclient //$server/web -A $conf_dir/$login_file -TcagrX $backup_file *.log

However, when I look at the log of smblient (I redirect the output to a log file), it shows that it's still backing up log files.
Does anyone know what might be wrong with what I'm doing? Or is this some sort of weird behavior?

The server running smbclient is RedHat 8.0, the target servers are all Win NT 4.0 (Option Pack 6, I think).

Jordan Reiter                          mailto:jordan at breezing.com
Breezing.com                           http://breezing.com
1106 West Main St                      phone:434.295.2050
Charlottesville, VA 22903              fax:603.843.6931